When you smile, the very first thing people notice are your teeth. When your teeth are discolored, it can quickly turn even the most outgoing person into an introvert. Moreover, hiding your smile, or refusing to do so altogether, can give off the impression that you are unfriendly. At National Dental Upper East Side, we offer teeth whitening services, which can restore the bright white to your teeth, and give you the confidence to smile wide once again.
HOW DO YOUR TEETH BECOME DISCOLORED?
There are several factors that can contribute to tooth discoloration:
- Foods and beverages: Many types of foods and drinks – tomatoes, curries, coffee, tea, red wine – can lead to serious discoloration. These foods contain dark pigments, which adhere to the enamel of your teeth.
- Tobacco products: Cigarettes, along with other tobacco products, contain many chemicals. The ones responsible for discoloration are mainly tar and nicotine. Tar is a naturally dark substance. Nicotine, on the other hand, is clear until it comes into contact with oxygen.
- Medications: Certain types of medications – those for asthma and high blood pressure, along with antihistamines – can cause deep stains. Other medications, such as tetracycline and doxycycline, can cause stains to the permanent teeth of children, whether children take them, or the mother takes them while pregnant.
- Age: Simply getting older can lead to darker teeth.
AT HOME WHITENING PRODUCTS
There are many products on the shelves of your local store that promise to whiten your teeth. Whitening toothpaste contains abrasives, which work to scrub away surface stains. You may also find whitening strips, which contain low levels of bleach or whitening pens. These products often require several applications, and should only be used for a limited amount of time. They are often a good solution for minor stains.
If you have deep, set in stains, at home whitening techniques may not be enough. National Dental can help. We offer a couple of options for removing more stubborn stains. One way we do this is with an in office, or chairside, procedure. It is a completely painless procedure. We start by applying a protective gel to your gums. Next, we apply the bleaching agent, which is more potent than what you will find in your local store. Once the bleaching agent is applied, we then shine a special light on your teeth, which works to enhance the effects. Results can be seen almost immediately.
Another option for professional whitening is whitening trays. These trays allow you to whiten on your own time, in the comfort of your own home. We create custom trays from molds of your mouth. We also provide you with the bleaching agent. Results can usually be seen within a week.
KEEPING YOUR TEETH WHITE
Whitening treatments are not a permanent solution. If you don’t take proper care of your teeth, the stains will return. There are things you can do to prevent staining and keep your teeth whiter, longer:
- Avoid anything that can cause stains for the first few days following treatment, such as dark foods and beverages.
- After the first few days, limit staining foods and beverages.
- Drink dark beverages through a straw.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Quit smoking or use of any other tobacco products.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly.
Research has shown teeth whitening to both a safe and very effective procedure. With whitening, your smile, and your confidence can be restored. Contact National Dental Upper East Side at (646) 736-2206 for more information and to schedule your appointment today!