Damage to your teeth can occur in a variety of ways. Moreover, when it does, whether it’s a crack or severe tooth decay, it needs to be treated. Untreated, you are putting yourself at risk for further damage, as well as serious infection. At National Dental Upper East Side, we can restore your damaged tooth, and prevent the need for extraction, with dental crowns.
WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?
A crown, in the simplest terms, is a sort of “cap” that covers the entire visible portion of a damaged, or weakened, tooth. The crown has many jobs. It holds the tooth together, preventing further damage, providing strength to the tooth, and protecting the tooth from bacterial invasion. Crowns are designed to prevent the need for an extraction, allowing your tooth to stay firmly in its socket.
WHAT ARE CROWNS MADE OF?
Crowns can be made of many different materials, each with their benefits and drawbacks:
- Metal. Metal is, by far, the strongest material used for crowns. In fact, these crowns are almost indestructible. They have been in use for several decades, and still, continue to be a common option for many patients. However, metal crowns are quite visible, being silver or gold in color. This makes them aesthetically unpleasing, so many patients opt to avoid them.
- Porcelain fused to metal (PFM). These crowns have a porcelain exterior (which mimics the color of your natural teeth), with a metal interior. It provides some benefits of metal crowns while being more aesthetically pleasing. However, porcelain can chip, and the meal can often show through the material.
- Ceramic. Ceramic is quite possibly the most popular option for dental crowns. The material can mimic the color and the shine of your natural teeth. They can withstand normal biting forces and can last for several years when properly cared for.
HOW ARE DENTAL CROWNS PLACED?
Crowns are a straightforward process. We start by preparing your tooth. What this means is that we trim, or remove, some of the enamel of the affected tooth. This allows for the crown to fit comfortably and naturally in place. Once that is finished, we then take an impression and use a color guide to match your teeth. The impression and color information are sent to a lab, where your crown will be created. It can take up to two weeks, so we will provide you with a temporary crown while you wait. When the crown is ready, it will be checked for fit, and then cemented in place, leaving you with a full, beautiful smile.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL CROWNS
Crowns have some benefits:
- Providing strength to a weakened tooth.
- Holding together, and protecting a broken tooth from bacteria, thus preventing an infection.
- Replacing large fillings, which could otherwise cause serious damage to your teeth.
- Protecting a tooth following a root canal procedure.
- Fixing cosmetic imperfections, such as misshapen teeth.
- Affixing a dental bridge.
- Covering a dental implant.
If your tooth has suffered damage or is weakened in any way, a dental crown can help to restore it. Call National Dental Upper East Side today at (646) 736-2206 for more information or to schedule your appointment.