When your teeth are marred by cracks, chips, and other imperfections, your smile is affected. Moreover, some imperfections can affect your oral health as well as your appearance. At National Dental Upper East Side, we can provide you with dental crowns to fix your imperfections, and restore the beauty to your smile.
WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?
Dental crowns provide an aesthetic fix for damaged teeth. They are essentially a “cap” that covers the entire visible portion of the affected tooth. It simultaneously holds the tooth together, provides strength, and protects the tooth from bacterial infection, all while allowing your tooth to stay in its socket.
MATERIALS USED TO MAKE DENTAL CROWNS
There are a few different materials that can be used for a dental crown. They all each have their benefits and disadvantages:
- Metal. Metal crowns have been used for decades, and with good reason. Metal crowns are the strongest option available. They can withstand rather hard bite forces and are almost unbreakable. The major disadvantage of a metal crown is that because of its color, it stands out from the rest of your natural teeth.
- Porcelain fused to metal (PFM). These crowns are metal on the interior, with a porcelain exterior. Porcelain mimics the color of your natural teeth, but the metal often shows through.
- Ceramic. Ceramic crowns are the best option for a cosmetic fix. The material perfectly mimics the sheen of your natural teeth and can be made to perfectly match their color as well. While they are not as strong as metal crowns, they can withstand normal biting and chewing forces.
HOW ARE DENTAL CROWNS PLACED?
The procedure for crowns is relatively straightforward and requires two visits. During your first visit, the tooth is prepared. This means that we trim, or remove, a certain amount of enamel from the affected tooth. By doing so, we create room for the crown, and it can fit comfortably and naturally in among your other teeth.
After the tooth is prepared, we take a mold of your mouth, which will be used to create your custom crown in our lab. This can take up to two weeks so that we will provide you with a temporary restoration for the duration.
When your crown is ready, we will check it for fit before finally cementing it in place.
CARING FOR YOUR NEW CROWNS
Crowns do not require any special care. They can be treated just like your natural teeth. They should be brushed daily and flossed. They may not be able to experience decay, but they can harbor plaque and bacteria that can lead to serious oral health problems. You should also maintain regular dental visits, where we will check your crowns for signs of damage. Avoid biting down and chewing on exceptionally hard things, such as ice or your fingernails.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL CROWNS
Dental crowns have several benefits:
- Ceramic crowns match the natural color of your teeth, and no one will be able to tell the difference between the crown and the rest of your teeth.
- They provide strength for a weakened tooth.
- They prevent further damage to cracked or chipped teeth.
- They seal the teeth following a root canal, sealing out infection.
- They hold dental bridges in place.
If imperfections in your teeth are affecting your smile, along with your confidence, dental crowns may be able to help. Contact National Dental Upper East Side at (646) 736-2206 to learn more and schedule your appointment today!