At National Dental Upper East Side, your oral health is of the utmost importance. To provide you with the best possible care, we utilize the latest tools and technology that the dental field has to offer. iCAT imaging allows us to get a clear, high-quality image of what is happening inside your mouth, far surpassing traditional X-ray technology.
WHAT IS ICAT IMAGING?
iCAT imaging is a technological improvement upon other forms of imaging; traditional CAT scans, CT scans, and X-rays. The images produced by the iCAT are similar to those of a CT (computed tomography) scan, although the technology more closely resembles an X-ray. The machine uses a cone-shaped X-ray beam that rotates 360 degrees around your head. As it spins, it takes a series of pictures. These images are strung together to create a single, high-quality 3-dimensional image of the interior of your mouth. This image provides us with an up-close view of your teeth, jawbone, soft tissues and even your nerves. With such a clear view, we can make a more accurate diagnosis, and therefore provide you with a more complete, personalized treatment plan.
The process for getting an iCAT scan is a fairly simple one. Before you get your scan, you will be instructed to remove any metal that you may be wearing. This includes necklaces, earrings, hair clips, pins, and ties. Glasses and hearing aids must also be removed.
Once ready, you will sit down at the machine and put your chin on the rest. We will make any necessary adjustments. It will take less than one minute for your scan to finish once it starts. It is important that you remain very still. After the scan is complete, it will only take a few more seconds for the 3-dimensional image to be generated on the monitor.
ICAT IMAGING USES
iCAT imaging provides a much better view of the inside of your mouth than traditional X-rays. It has some uses in dentistry including:
- Getting a better look at the condition of your jawbone. We can see a bone loss, and determine if a bone graft is necessary.
- Examining your sinuses and nasal passages.
- Examining nerve passageways.
- A clear view of the internal anatomy of your teeth. This allows for a better root canal treatment.
- Evaluating the condition of impacted teeth.
- Diagnosing pathological diseases.
- Evaluating tumors in the jaw.
- Reconstructive jaw surgery.
- Finding optimal placement for dental implants.
BENEFITS OF ICAT IMAGING
There are so many benefits that come with iCAT imaging:
- The scan is quick and completely pain-free.
- The image offers precise 1 to 1 measurements, which cannot be achieved with a traditional X-ray.
- The 3-dimensional image produced allows us to see multiple angles. We can manipulate the image, turn it, and zoom in. This allows us to make a much more accurate diagnosis.
- One scan shows teeth, bone, soft tissue and nerves.
- Because the image is shown right on the monitor in the room, you are right there to see it. You can see exactly what we are talking about and understand your diagnosis and treatment plan. This helps you to become more involved in your dental care.
iCAT imaging provides us with a unique, 3-dimensional view of your mouth, along with all of the structures within. These images allow us to make a more accurate diagnosis and a better treatment plan. Call National Dental Upper East Side today at (646) 736-2206 for more information.