Crooked teeth can affect your smile and your confidence. Traditionally, braces were the only way you could deal with misaligned teeth. However, braces stand out, and can often be just as detrimental to your confidence as crooked teeth, particularly in older teens and adults. At National Dental Upper East Side, we offer an alternative, Invisalign®.
WHAT IS INVISALIGN®?
Invisalign® is a type of dental aligner. They are made of a rigid, clear plastic material, and are designed to straighten misaligned teeth. Your aligners are custom created from 3-dimensional images of your mouth. Unlike braces, Invisalign® aligners are removable. However, to be successful, they should be worn at least 20 to 22 hours every day. They can be removed for meals and to brush your teeth.
HOW DOES INVISALIGN® WORK?
Treatment with Invisalign® involves a series of aligners. Each set of aligners is meant to be worn for two weeks, only to be removed for eating, or for cleaning your teeth. With each new set of aligners, your teeth are moved gradually. The rigid plastic of the aligners puts pressure on your teeth, coaxing them bit by bit.
The length of time required for treatment varies based on your specific needs, and how poorly your teeth are aligned. It can take anywhere from 9 months to 15 months to complete treatment, with most patients achieving the desired results within a year. For more severe cases, it can take closer to two years for your teeth to be put into proper alignment. Depending upon your case, you may go through anywhere from 18 to 30 aligners.
BENEFITS OF INVISALIGN®
There are several benefits associated with Invisalign® aligners. One of the biggest advantages is that Invisalign® aligners are practically invisible on your teeth. No one will be able to tell that you are wearing them, or that you are currently undergoing treatment for misaligned teeth. What they will notice, however, is the beautiful smile you show off once your teeth are aligned properly. Other benefits of Invisalign® include:
- More freedom when it comes to eating. When you have traditional braces, there are certain foods you are told to avoid, such as whole apples, corn on the cob, hard candies, candied apples and sticky foods like taffy. All of these foods can dislodge the brackets and bend wires. With Invisalign®, you do not have to worry about these issues, and you can eat all of your favorite foods.
- Improved oral hygiene. You do not have to brush and floss between wires and metal brackets, trying to get every little nook and cranny. You can simply brush your teeth as normal.
- There are no uncomfortable wires or brackets.
- You do not have to visit the dentist as often.
- You do not have the typical metal-mouth that is associated with traditional metal. Because no one can see your aligners, you will gain a boost of confidence, especially as your teeth start to move into their correct placement.
With Invisalign®, you can straighten your teeth without metal brackets and wires. All anyone will notice is your beautiful smile. Contact National Dental Upper East Side today at (646) 736-2206 for more information!